Monday, January 15, 2007

:.:Technology, Poverty, & Health:.:

Hi! My name is Isabel and I’m thirteen years old and I´m in 7 grade. I live in Cartagena, Colombia. Jorge Washington or COJOWA is were I study.

My life is all about my friends and basketball, I have lots of them which I go out with. The Campito; a place were everyone goes to play soccer and eat pizza and later drink an Oreo milkshake, is the most popular place to go at Friday night.

Basketball is my favorite sport and I'm in the school team with all of my friends. Also in the afternoon we go and skate on the (Paseo Pea tonal), is a long walking street that is beside the ocean.

Living in Cartagena means that you love to go to the beach, surf , see cute guys, and have some fun dancing. Cartagena is the most beautiful city in Colombia. Has the Centro that it is all colonial of the time when the Spanish came and also the Murallas that are surrounding it.

Mr. Hide, which is my teacher, put us a project about teen life and he told us to pick three or four topics to talk about. My first one is about how all kind of technology is affecting the worlds health and jobs. New inventors are inventing new inventions so they are letting other people without work. When people don´t have a job and haven´t find one they don´t have nothing to eat, they get desesperated and start drugging themselves because they don’t have something else to do. All of these drugs affect them in their lungs and they can get to a point in which they die. This is all causing poverty and is because of our fault just wanting a better cell phone or a
more advance computer.

My second issue are orphans. They have also been a problem for everyone, they are begging in the streets because they don´t have a home nor a family. Their parent´s are also in the same role but by there self. They can´t eat because of no money in their pockets and last but not least some of them drug themselves and do vandalism in the walls.

And last but not least, my last issue is about the Environment. Which is being destroyed because of deforestation, that is causing great death to animals and some plants that live nearby. Also the deserts are increasing because of the cutting down trees to make more paper for schools and the wood is also used to make ships and chairs. The people is not realizing what really matters , if we don´t take care of our few trees many bad things would happen such as; less air to breath, less paper to use, and less chairs and ships to travel.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for sharing all that information about technology, poverty, and health and I really enjoyed reading about you. I think with a doubt you are right about the issues. It also seems that you have a lot of fun with basketball but I'm better playing soccer but I do enjoy basketball. And you have also love going to the campito which I think is great place for socializing. Well by the way my name is Farhad from Mr. Raisdana's class and if you want to want visit my intro and issues, visit www.farhad.learnerblogs.org and please feel free to comment.

Valeria S. said...

Isa,
I think that all of what you have written on this post is true. ALl this things of deforestation affecting the environment, and technology affecting humans is terrifying. Have you think that most of the issues affectin people's life interconnect? Well, from the ay we talked in class with Mr. Hide and all the class about several issues, I haven't stop thinking that most of them connect. for example, global warming is the main, then some factors are: deforestation, greenhouse gasses, kyoto protocol, politics, technology, and many more.
ok isa know I have to go because I need to continue commenting on other people's blog.
Bye..Loveya

VaLs

ps: comment on my blog if you have any question.